Monday, July 9, 2012

Aubade

Once, on a distant land, A man began his story,
At seventy, I assumed he probably had seen it all,
This fellow began reminiscing 'bout the days of glory,
How he had crawled up on top and what made him fall -

A day, some decades ago, I was naive and young,
I'd work all day, at night I drank and sang songs,
My pals were tough, with their words and lies,
And, I was the happiest guy - you'd ever find.

So, one day, as I was strolling,
Looking for nothing on a leisurely day,
A lady, who'd make you go crawling,
Smiled at me and came my way.

So pretty she was, I was ashamed -
For when she inquired, I couldn't recall my name,
She had no scars, no bruises in sight -
One you'd search, for she fell from such heights,

Yes, she was an angel right from the sky,
And, dim as I looked, I still gave it a try,
We had a few laughs, then at the night fall,
I asked her if she'd accompany me to a ball.

She didn't refuse - no she agreed and she came,
And, the way she looked - an heartbreaking dame,
Her dress so much like flower - her smile divine,
At the end of the ball I asked her if she'd be mine.

No, she said - but, I figured she liked me as well,
She refused but her eyes didn't - I could tell
And, so -
Everyday we danced, and after a while -
I asked her again - this time, she smiled.

Next came months when we were together,
I told her I'd hold her forever -
I asked her again if she'd be mine now,
She agreed,
Together at last - we took our vows.

Then, came two years of love -
Two years when I was above.
I'd walk with her, bring her flowers to cover the floor- 
When I'd return she would waiting for me at the door.

One night, bright as sun - something stirred as she looked my way
I knew something was wrong - she smiled but she didn't look okay,
The next day the medics came - and, with a half hearted sorrow,
Said that she would never wake up tomorrow.

I looked at her that night - stayed up by her side,
Cursing at what the fate imposed - the inevitable divide
After an hour off the midnight, she smiled at me -
The last smile in her face I'd ever see.

The next morning, the neighbors came to put her away,
I insisted that she was where she fits, she should stay.
They held me back as they locked her in a coffin -
I insisted, I pled, I begged with tears and scoffing,
But, they buried her and everything she'd saved -
And asked me what it should say on her stone atop her grave.
When the love overtook the pain, I smiled "My wife,
Here lies the sole reason of my life"

Her parting was harsh but what broke my pride,
Was the next day - when I didn't feel her by my side,
I left the town, the memories of that wonderful girl,
Who'd been the reason of my rise and my fall.

I sing no song, I have no one to cow to -
Nor do I have any one to bow to.
I am just waiting for the day I leave this place -
So once again I can see her smiling face.