Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Lost Friend

A star shone up the sky today, and from its rim,
I could see the thoughts flow my way, joyous and grim.
Yes, a paradox you'd say but, see, the sun was dim,
And, it mattered not what we'd say, at least not to him.

The little twinkling star, a thousand times larger than ours,
Perhaps million miles far, with joy it cowers,
And, with a death very near, as we would never feel,
Where there should've been fear, there was sanity still.

Grim was what I felt, I told him not,
Sorrow I hid within and smiled to bid him off.
"Good Riddance" I said as he smiled at me in jest,
As if saying his death nearby was a glorious fest.

He shone as if there was no tomorrow, perhaps he was right,
But, within, he has no sorrow, nor a bit of will to fight.
He shone still, only a faint reflection at where I lay,
He shone his zeal, glamour for one last day.

I blinked once, he still shimmered,
I blinked twice, he grew dimmer,
And, thrice as I closed my eyes,
He vanished without any goodbyes.

And, so, I lost a friend tonight,
A friend who had always fought,
But, even in his last plight,
Answered the question I asked him not.

 Maybe we are what we are. 'I' and 'you', not 'we' forever.
But, in death as we part, we'll perhaps embrace each other.
And, in that gloomy night, as we go back to the times we fought,
We'll perhaps smile at each other and embrace the love we sought.